I now have a pile of Vampires and Lands sitting in front of me…. The problem with that is I have no idea how or why or what blue cards the deck should be running. Here are the themes I’ve considered so far:
- Vampire Tribal. This is what I’m basically defaulting to, and I’m not unhappy about it, but it’s not going to be enough for a full deck, let alone a Blue-Red-Black deck – 90% of the Vampires (slightly less now with Innistrad but bear with me) are mono black, which leads me to think if I wanted Vampire tribal I’d just make Anowon or Drana the general and be done with it.
- “Combat Damage Matters”. Quite a few of the Vampires (including Garza) have combat damage triggers – most when they hit the opponent, usually involving either drawing cards or putting +1/+1 counters on creatures. This, at least, would give me an idea for what to include blue for, as with bounce and unblockability it allows your creatures to connect more often. Also looking at things like Cover of Darkness and Intimidation.
- Killin’ All The Mans, All The Time. If there’s one thing that connects Blue Black and Red, it’s creature control. No doubt there will be some (coughalotcough) that makes it in here anyway but I already have one deck (Savra) which tries to keep the board clear, and that has already drawn some comments about how it operates (and truth be told, it’s not even that good at it, really)
- Royalty. Just for gits and shiggles, I’ll be putting in Royal Assassin, Prince of Thralls, Sedris, Unscythe, (but obviously not King Suleiman – talk about your specific abilities!!) and Decree of Pain. I think that’s about as far as I can take that joke though – any other suggestions? Thrones? Sceptres? Crowns?
- Plague. Looking at the plague cards again, there’s not a single one I’d actually want to play – with the possible exception of Necrotic Plague, but that would only really work if I had no creatures (so they can’t give it back to me). I might put Pestilence in here though, just because it fits the theme, and it actually good. Again though, that’s yet another black card in a deck that’s already swimming in them
- Something Else. Help?
As you can see, I have plenty of ideas for a mono-Black Garza Zol deck. That’s not really the point of things though, is it? What red and (especially!) blue cards/strategies should I be looking at here?