Took Nin out for a spin last night and managed to take out a four person table (Hooray!). I was playing against (in turn order): Omnath, Memnarch (a counterspell-less version apparently), Anowon and myself. Highlights as follows:
- Only missed one land drop all game, on turn 5. However that was without any draw spells to help me (up until that point), and I’m not sure I could pull that off again. Jury still out on whether I’m running enough mana sources. At that point I had Niv-Mizzet, Darksteel Sentinel and Aeon Chronicler in my hand, any of which I would have happily played if I had a sixth mana. (Next turn I drew Deep Analysis, cast it, and got Island, Sol Ring as my two cards. Win! Play Island, cast Sol Ring, Flashback Deep Analysis… two more Islands!)
- Cast Nin on turn 2, she lasted about 4 turns, but I never activated her ability, being constantly one mana off actually being able to kill something.
- With the help of Inner Fire, cast a Rite of Replication on my Darksteel Sentinel, only to be Gather Specimens‘ed (it’s a word!) by Memnarch.
- The crucial turn; Omnath had out Omanth, Seedborn Muse and… irrelevant stuff. I cast Minds Aglow, added 5 (leaving Mountain, Island, Darksteel Ingot untapped). Omnath added 5, Memnarch 1, and Anowon (possibly seeing what was coming) none. We all draw 11. I was planning on mostly-killing Memnarch with the Cerebral Vortex in my hand, but found Molten Psyche in my 11, along with Reliquary Tower and Scrabbling Claws. Tower –> Claws (giving me Metalcraft with Claws, Ingot, and Divvy Top), Molten Psyche. Everyone takes 22, knocking out Anowon and reducing Omnath and Memnarch both to 6 🙂
- Omnath plays Terastodon killing my Reliquary Tower and Temple of the False God 😦 (and something of Memnarch’s) and I had just enough defence (and 19 life) to stop him running me over, so he passes the turn. Memnarch kills Omnath because he can, then I untap, Frantic Search dumping Conflagrate into my graveyard (as insurance), then cast Adamaro and Soul’s Fire, killing the Memnarch player.
- I was actually one Red short of casting Adamaro, Soul’s Fire and Conflagrate (flashed back) all in one turn, so may be a little heavy on blue and light on red sources. Something to keep an eye on.